Understanding how organizations are structured and operate, and how the individuals who make up that organization perceive themselves and their roles, is an important leadership skill. As an effective leader, you have to understand your organization’s culture in order to lead change, ensure employee retention and motivation and manage the response to strategic initiatives. This module will not only enable you to explore the role of learned behaviours, organizational norms and values, and ethics, but also the challenges of leadership in a global, diverse and multicultural society.
At the completion of this course students will be able to:
- Define Organizational Culture (OC)
- Describe its purpose and importance to leaders
- Explain how various artifacts reflect culture
- Identify how culture is part of organizational change
- Apply an understanding of culture to the leader’s role
- Define diversity
- Describe how diversity affects the leader’s role
- Apply culture and diversity principles to a case
This is an interactive course, which includes lectures, group exercises and discussion.
Please come to this course prepared to share your experiences, opinions and perspectives with the class.