Become a Practicum Host
Each year, Western Continuing Studies invites marketing professionals to host post-degree diploma students for the practicum component of the Diploma in Marketing. We work with you and our students to coordinate the best possible professional practicum placement for the applicant and organization.
The Diploma in Marketing is a post-degree program that includes 10 diploma-credit courses plus a student practicum for which the student receives academic credit. Students are eligible to apply to the Diploma in Marketing only after successful completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited university.
The practicum is the final term of the Diploma in Marketing. Students must complete 560 hours at their practicum site between May and August (exact end date may vary slightly). During this period, students are expected to be on site on a full-time basis (i.e. 35 hours per week).
The key dates for our 2018-2019 practicum process are:
|Jan 25||Deadline to submit a posting|
|Feb 4-8||Students will submit their applications to sites by email|
|Oct 8 – 31||Interview period|
|May 1 - Aug 17||Practicum period|
There is not a prescribed list of activities that must be completed. Instead, the Practicum Supervisor helps the student to create six learning goals for the four month practicum based on the student’s interests, and current projects at the site.
Requirements of Practicum Supervisors
As students’ skills are at an entry level, supervision, explanation, and direction are vital. The student’s supervisor should be a practitioner who has at least 5 years of relevant marketing experience. Although the student can be expected to work fairly independently, contact and supervision is expected from the supervisor.
The Role of the Practicum Supervisor
- Help the student to create six learning goals for the practicum; evaluate their performance in meeting the goals at the end of the practicum
- Review weekly journal entries submitted by the student; evaluate the student’s performance in reflecting in their journal at the end of the practicum
- Meet with the student once per week to discuss their progress and provide feedback
- Provide the student with a range of experience in as many aspects of clinical trials as possible
- Orient the student to the clinical trial function in the organization, including policies, procedures and personnel
- Monitor work assignments and provide constructive feedback
- Be available and accessible for counsel and advice
- Provide the student with networking opportunities
- Foundations of Digital Marketing
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Market Research and Analysis
- Contemporary Media
- Introduction to Market StrategyEmerging Trends in Marketing
- Digital Marketing: Strategies and Tactics
- Advanced Marketing Strategy
- Brand Management
- Professional Practice for Marketers
Through the course work, students have developed knowledge in:
- Developing, executing and evaluating communications strategies
- Creating a marketing communications plan
- Writing effectively for web and print
- Developing strong presentations, speeches, creative briefs, key messages
- Determining research strategies and evaluating data
- Creating an integrated media plan
- Understanding emerging trends and utilizing digital media
- Developing and executing a branding plan
- Working with design professionals
Submit a Posting
Contact Work Integrated Learning Coordinator with the following information:
- Name and email address
- Learning opportunities
- Skills required/valued
- Information regarding payment, honorarium, professional development opportunities, etc. (if applicable)
Looking forward to partnering with you during the upcoming year!