This course examines basic financial management. The course will clarify financial terms, concepts, and techniques, with particular emphasis on financial management in the not-for-profit sector. The course will review financial statement preparation and analysis, basics of accounting, long-term financial management, budget preparation and management, and cash flow management in Canadian not-for-profit organizations.
The goal of the course is to provide students with an introduction to the accounting and financial management functions within Canadian not-for-profit organizations. The intention is to develop skills at a management level, for general managers, who must oversee the finance function, and for department or program managers, who must interact with the finance manager.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the various decision makers who contribute to the financial management of a not-for-profit organization.
- Demonstrate the technical aspects of preparing the financial statements and related analyses for a not-for-profit organization.
- Assess the financial stability of a not-for-profit organization through analysis of standard financial statements and related measurable outcomes.
- Posses an understanding of the concepts of budgeting and forecasting.
This course is only available for students registered in the Diploma in Not-for-Profit Management
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Not-for-Profit Management : Required Courses